Monday, May 22, 2006

Movies, Movies, Movies

What a lovely relaxing weekend. I packed the kids off to their farther and spent it by myself, doing what I wanted to do (for a change), which included a few movies/DVD's and starting a new book.
The movies...

Mrs Henderson Presents (****)
A beautiful movie about the world famous Windmill theater in London during World War II. Dame Judy Dench pulled off a spectacular performance as the rather eccentric widow Mrs. Henderson, and the playful banter with Bob Hoskins' Vivian van Damm makes for some of the best moments in the movie. The jury is still out on Will Young's performance, although if you were going to get someone to play the gay musical lead who else would you choose.

The DaVinci Code (****)
I made a point to reserve judgment on the book/movie until I had either read or seen it. Well, I started reading the book on Friday and saw the movie on Sunday, and enjoyed both. The best way I can find to describe it is "Raiders of the lost Arc" meets "National Treasure". A wonderful work of fiction. It is a treasure hunt through time and Europe, with the characters constantly keeping each other in check to give the audience a hint at both sides of the argument.

and one of my all time fav's
The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy (*****)
This is one of the few movies that are as good as the books. I have loved it since I first saw it, and decided to add it to my personal collection at home. Now, how to convince someone to make "Restaurant at the end of the Universe".

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Can't comment on the first two movies. I have read The DaVinci Code though, thought the ideas given forward in it were very good, I found the style of writing was a bit cookie cutter but also well done.

As for Hitch Hikers Guide to the Galaxy, I thought the movie did the books no justice. Not saying it was a bad movie, because it was quite good, just not as good as the books, I do not think Douglas Adams would have liked what they did.

M said...

Justin It's always nice to hear otherpeoples opinions.... just one point to consider. Douglas Adams WROTE the screenplay converting his books into a movie plot. I think he would have kept as true as anyone could to the original.