Friday, May 18, 2007

Out with the old... In with the new...

For months now I have had this feeling that it is time to throw out the old and open my life up to new things.

I decided that the best place to start this is by rummaging through all the 'stuff' that I have collected through my life and that has always just moved along with me. Everything from letters I received from my closest friend when I was in Std 1 (grade 3 for all you young'ens) after she moved to Johannesburg to invoices and receipts from shopping trips last week.

I look at it all and think WHY?? why keep all this crap, then I pack it back in it's box and put in back in the cupboard (or under the bed). Don't get me wrong... you can see all the floors and table tops in my house, I don't have piles of things lying about that make it difficult to maneuver around my humble abode... but just having these things in my life is starting to feel like it is weighing me down.

Over the last few months I have had very good intentions of being brutal and getting rid of these old things but every time I open the boxes I stare at it all in disbelief then put it back and go do something else. Well, I am making it my mission this weekend to tackle at least 1 room (trying to do the whole house in one weekend is a task too daunting), and the first room to fall victim to the "De-Clutter M's life" campaign shall be the bedroom (loud applause and cheers of congratulations erupt as the other rooms know they are safe - for now).

I am even quite excited to know what treasures lay hidden, safely tucked away in boxes that haven't been opened in 8 years or more... I just need to learn to be brutal and get rid of the crap that is gathering dust and has no use in my life anymore.

So, raise your glasses and be upstanding for the toast..... "To making space for new and better things"
CHEERS

2 comments:

AngelConradie said...

i'm impressed! i like the new look and the decluttering sounds like a plan i should implement for myself!

Anonymous said...

I am the same way. I hoard things.
The strangest thing about throwing things out is that the minute you do, you need them.