Friday, October 27, 2006

Where did all my single friends go?

I have found myself in an odd situation. I love socializing but the life I have led over the last 7 years has meant that I am sitting here tonight ACHING to go out and have a few drinks and dance and relax and socialize but have NO ONE to do it with.

When I was in high school and at varsity I had many many friends that I would do just this with. Not one weekend went by without a something happening till the wee hours of the morning. Then I got knocked up and married and THAT became my whole life for 6 years. I have completely lost contact with 99% of those friends (and only have myself to blame for that) and replaced them with equally good married or single-parent friends.

Don't get me wrong... They are great friends but it means that when I have a free weekend (kids with their dad) and want to go out on a Friday night I will have to do it alone...

Lady-B - at home with her family (husband and 3 sons) and enjoying some rare quality time with them
The Empress - out on a date with Mr S
Theater-girl - single, but has some function happening at the theater and can't go out, as much as she would like to
Adumski - well... Still working on that one... Never comes to any event I have invited him to, and so have got to the point where I am about to stop asking
Yummy-D - at home babysitting his daughter while his wife visits her ailing mother (now this one I can't fault)
Ms C - let's just say she is more of a homebody and really does not enjoy the club/pub scene much at all

Now I have found myself single again and desperately in need of building my circle of single friends... Somehow... hmmmmm. Bit of a catch 22 though because you need to be socializing to meet new people in the first place.

Anyway, on a cheerier note. I now have my tickets to Jordan in December in my hot little hands. It turned out a bit more expensive than expected as I completely overlooked the fact there people are traveling for pilgrimage at that time of year and the airline I wanted to fly with (one of the best and cheapest) - Qatar Airline - is fully booked. So have managed to secure myself place on an Emirates flight at twice the price. Oh well. I am still bloody excited though. Cannot wait. Leave 26 December 2006 and back 8 January 2007.

8 comments:

AngelConradie said...

wow m- i'm in the same boat! i have pretty much the same circle of friends as i've always had- but they're either home with kidlets (most are married), have moved overseas or are too far away for a casual outing... and i also have a friend who never comes when i invite her out- she doesn't even rsvp!
now i really wanna move to cape town- then we can jol together!!

Anonymous said...

I, too can identify!! It seems like every other weekend I am in the same boat.

The Author said...

Aw come on M, have a heart *sniff* ;-) I'll see you at the Live concert Tuesday, won't I?

M said...

angel so when you moving to Cape Town :)

dixiefrog welcome.. always good to see a new face. I think we need to start a single mom social club

adumski like I have said many times before... you have the most active social life of anyone I know (pitty it never includes me) - hint hint :)

Michelle said...

Another "I identify!" checking in.. :-) All the friends are married, or busy, or something. So I've taken to chatting up strangers on Skype instead.. ;-)

The Author said...

Isee a new blog in the making: http://wherehaveallmyfriendsgone.blogspot.com/

Anonymous said...

Ahem.

Anonymous said...

I remember this syndrome from my single days too. However you have one advantage - you are divorced with kids. Believe it or not that is more normal and acceptable than being 30 something, never married with no kids. Some people think you have a disease.

But yeah, it is not nice at all! Maybe time to start Latin American dancing again?