Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Doing the touristy thing...

I have lived in Cape Town all my life, and one of the things that we Capetonians tend to do is take our beautiful surroundings completely for granted. However, having kids you get to enjoy some of the things you never took time for... let me explain.

On the weekend we had absolutely glorious weather. Now my normal weekend routine would be shopping and groceries and maybe some gardening and movies. However this weekend I decided to pack the kids and show them some of the sites that I haven't been too since I was a kid myself. So off we headed to Simon's Town (a quaint little naval town). Our first stop was Boulders Beach to see the penguin colony... and believe it or not this is the first time in my (almost) 29 years that I have been there. Here we were joined by a busload of German tourists. Unfortunately it was a little windy, but when did that ever stop a determined mother :)

After our commune with the little birds in their tuxedo's we headed back into the town itself and took a nice long walk along the main road stopping at some quaint bakeries and antique shops and all the typical beachy/tourist traps. This was followed up by a delicious meal at Bertha's - hmmmm calamari and kingklip. Here we were joined by no less than 2 busloads of Japanese tourists.

From here we took a scenic drive over the mountain to Noordhoek and then around the famous Chapmans Peak. This is a particular road that I used to travel often... when I needed a break, just to get away look out at the ocean and just chill. Unfortunately the vegetation in this area was destroyed in a massive fire a few years back after which the road was closed for a long time due to dangerous rock falls. After various rehabilitation efforts and massive nets were erected to catch these boulders, the road was reopened as a toll road. This was the first time since then that I actually drove on this road again. And it is still one of the most beautiful drives to do in the world.

This takes you in to Hout Bay and here we were greated with the site of a pod of Southern Right Whales playing in the bay. So we pulled off the road into one of the picnic spots and just stood and watched them for ages. What spectacular creatures. Then into Hout Bay for the most incredible ice cream you ever did eat.

Now THAT was the way to spend 6 hours in Cape Town.

5 comments:

SwissTwist said...

oohhhh.. you've made me homesick again...

Next time take then to the seals in Hout Bay.. my little one loved it (so did I!)

Anonymous said...

Now this was a trip down memory lane for me. Been to all those spots except maybe Bertha's, love the Boulders Beach.

AngelConradie said...

wow m- everytime i read your pagfe i am lus to move to ct!

the not so "new" mom on the blog said...

Now I couldn't agree more!!!!! Visiting CT is still very much on my "to do" list. I have been to Langebaan (Clud Mykanos), Woescester (oh krok don't laugh at my spelling). I think that might just be our next holiday!!!!!

M said...

swisstwist I have done the seal island boat trip with them before. My 7 year old LOVED it... the little one was sea sick. So will wait till he is older before attempting it again.

katt Will make sure I take you there next time you in town

angel mission accomplished then :)

nmotb make sure to give me a shout when you do make it down to the mudder-city