Tuesday, October 10, 2006

New Years Abroad


Up to now I have not mentioned my planned holiday to Jordan at the end of the year as it has been on-again-off-again planning. I started planning this holiday a few months ago and no sooner had I got some details together and the Israel-Lebanon 'thing' started. So I decided to hold off all plans until things settled down again. That happened and planning resumed only to hear the same day that the American embassy in Damascus was attacked. So on came the breaks once more.

HOWEVER, things have been very quiet, for a few weeks now at least, and I have decided to throw what little caution I had to the wind and go for it. It is not everyday that an opportunity like this presents itself and I am going to take it.

A very close friend of mine, one that I have known since high school days, is currently teaching in Amman, and I will be staying and traveling with her. She has worked in a few places already (including Japan and Casablanca) and has always said that I must come and and stay with her, but until now I have not actually taken her up on this. This will also be my first long holiday away from the kids (they will be staying with their father for 2 weeks) - excluding a 5 day business trip to Copenhagen last year.

Here are the plans so far.

Leave Cape Town on the morning of 26 December, aboard the ONLY airline that flies to that area of the world out of Cape Town (all other are ex- Johannesburg). After a 13 hour flight I will be overnighting in Doha (Saudi) and hopefully will be able to see some of that city before departing for Amman at noon the next day for a 2 hour flight to Jordan.

Then, spend a day and a half in Amman before traveling to Petra. A 2 day pass will give us ample time to walk the sites (possibly some horse / donkey riding) and take in the history of the place.

From Petra, travel up to the Dead Sea, and see in the New Year - I still cannot believe we are only 2 months away fro 2007 (I have only just got used to it being 2006). Spend my first day of 2007 soaking up the salt water and mud and shedding all the stress of the previous year gearing up for the new one.

Then a quick boarder crossing into Syria and up to Damascus (one of the oldest continuously inhabited cities in the world) - oh the history, the culture, the art, the silver and of course the leather. I am going to be in shopping heaven. Giving ourselves about two and a half days to 'do' Damascus before heading back to Amman for my last day or two.

I then await the pleasure of the 15 hours in a confined space for the return flight. At least this time it will only be a 2 hour stopover before the long haul to Cape Town.

I AM SOOOOOOOOO EXCITED I cannot contain it any more.

4 comments:

Michelle said...

I am very jealous! But at the same time, planning my own escape - 2 months on the Camino de Santiago and in Europe next year. :-) Life's too short not to see the world, or walk 1000km.

Anonymous said...

You gave me a fright when you said 2007 is only two months away. Where the hell did 2006 go?

This trip sounds like heaven! I am looking forward to seeing the photies so I can live vicariously through you. :-)

AngelConradie said...

wow m- it sounds absolutely spectacular! i'm very jealous!
i can't wai to see the photos...

Anonymous said...

hi. just found your blog. it's interesting. :)

just thought i'd let you know that even the Qatar Airways flight stops over in Jozi on the way to Doha.

Hope you enjoy all these destinations.. Damascus and Petra both sound very exciting.