Tuesday, July 11, 2006

Getting Feet Wet

I have taken a little leap of faith (and those who know me will know why I say it that way). Recently I have posted an “ad” on a dating site. Actually I first created it last year sometime but very quickly got disillusioned by the whole affair after discovering that a lot of people really are not all they make out to be (particularly behind the safety of a computer screen), and subsequently hid my profile just to get away from the constant barrage of e-mails and contacts from married 67 year old men from Piketburg. Since then I have started to fine tune my instincts about people and decided to reactivate my profile and take out a 3 month subscription (you cannot actually communicate with anyone if you don’t have a subscription) and get my feet wet, test the waters and see what is out there one last time.

So far so good.

It has been a few weeks and I have made contact with a few people who, at this early stage in the game, seem to be really decent men. However it is early days yet and the pessimist in me says that it is bound to go wrong at some point… but I am learning to silence that little voice (by force when necessary). For right now I am getting to know a few people that I would otherwise never have met, and for what that is, it is great. If anything more happens, terrific, but that is a LONG WAY OFF yet.

One thing that I have noticed is the amount of divorced people out there. Maybe it is just me noticing these things more nowadays (like Michelle and her landies), but at least every second profile that I read the person has put down divorced as their current status. Which gets me thinking… what is the difference between divorced and single other than a state of mind (I have mine listed as divorced as well). Now there is something I can mull over for the day.

And before any of you ask… NO I will not tell you where or what the profile name is. I will keep you posted on progress :)

5 comments:

Michelle said...

I await the results of this with bated breath... If it works for you, it may give me the courage to try! :)

Ginco said...

There,s a load of "nice" (that
word again) people out there, who need to share their life with other
nice people.
But also a bunch of lurking
freaks about! But I hope you get to meet the NICE ONE'S only.
(my teacher will brain me Lol)

Katt said...

Some unsolicited advice which you probably know already: If you ever meet anyone, do it in a crowded place, on neutral territory and meet him THERE. And good luck, just remember it is supposed to be fun.

M said...

Michelle What is stopping you from trying now. You'll never know if you don't try. But I will definitely keep you posted.
gincoleaves Yeah, but for every nice there are 2 wierds
Katt I sincerely do appreciate the concern, but I am ubber-cautious and am very reluctant to even give out my first name. Believe me, any face-to-face meetings will be in a VERY PUBLIC PLACE.
hormzones Thanks... though I'm not so sure about the guts thing...

kyknoord said...

Excellent. As long as you keep us posted. Incidentally, the reason you keep noticing the number of divorced people out there is because there are lots of divorced people out there.