Wednesday, June 14, 2006

'A' is for Apple


Thanks to Chitty for tagging me with the letter 'A' and giving me the kick up the backside to 'put pen to paper' as it were. If you are wanting background as to what the hell this is all about read here...

My list of 'A' words:

Let's start at the very beginning, a very good place to start
Alpha:
More than just being the first letter of the Greek alphabet, it is the universally accepted term to indicate 'the beginning'. Whenever I hear the world I am reminded of the biblical quote " I am the alpha and the omega, the beginning and the end". Somehow that has always been an encouraging thought and fills me with a little hope. There is something greater out there and our existence here on earth is not merely a random chance meeting of compatible molecules.

Aequeosalinocalcalinoceraceoaluminosocupreovitriolic:
Yes, believe it or not this is an actual word. With fifty-two letters, this is a claimant to the title of the longest word in the English language. The word is attributed to Dr. Edward Strother (1675–1737), who devised it to describe the spa waters at Bristol/Bath, England.
OKAY then...

Africa(aka HOME):
Described in Wiktionary as follows "The continent that is south of Europe, east of the Atlantic Ocean, west of the Indian Ocean and north of Antarctica." Yes, but is is soooo much more than that. Africa is home... the motherland to all human beings (depending on which 'scientific' fad we are going through at the time).

Aquarius:
The Zodiac sign for the water carrier, covering January 20 through February 18. My Sign. I also found in my reading that the opposite to Aquarius is Leo… my ex's sign, which might explain a lot. I really must find out more about this and put it to good use when next I meet the supposed Mr. Right.

Attraction:
The Moon is held in its orbit by the attraction of the Earth's gravity
The new mall should be a major attraction
I felt a strange attraction towards the place

AIDS:
I cannot say that this is one of my favourite 'A' words, but it is definitely the one that has the most impact. An epidemic that we in sub-Saharan Africa (as we are now classified) know all tooooo well. In South Africa more than 5,500,000 people are living with aids. There are many studies and reports on this issue... here is but one "Worldwide HIV & AIDS Epidemic Statistics"

Unfortunately this is where the stamina ran out. Chitty, forgive me... I only made 6 out of 10 :)

No comments: